7.3.14

RECIPE: The Ultimate Vegan Scones

I don't think there's anything more quintessentially British, than the great scone.  For me, they remind me of childhood days out with mère, to the little village of Alfriston, where we would feed the ducks, down by the lake & go for a cream tea afterwards.

Now, ideally, any decent scone should be buttery, a little bit crumbly & adorned with an oversized dollop of clotted cream & strawberry jam.  However, returning to my vegan ways, this setup isn't quite feasible & so, I have had to do some experimenting & have come up with...

The Ultimate Vegan Scones

 

 

Ingredients 

225g self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
50g vegetable margarine
25g golden caster sugar
125ml soya yoghurt
4 tablespoons of milk (rice, soya, or whatever you prefer)
You can also throw in some currants, for a fruity version.

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7/fan 200C.
Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl & add in the salt.
Pop in the margarine & rub it into the flour, until it becomes a crumb like consistency.
Now add in the sugar.
If you fancy a fruity version, now's the time to throw in any currents.
Make a well in the middle & pour in the yoghurt & the milk.
 Time to get your hands dirty!
Work the mixture, until it starts to form a sticky dough.  Be careful not to overwork!
Knead the dough 3-4 times on a lightly floured surface, working out the cracks.
Roll out the dough, until it's about 2cm thick.
Then, using a 5.5cm round fluted cutter, cut out the scones.
You should get about twelve out of this amount of mixture.
Pop them on a sheet of baking parchment on a baking tray, in the middle of the oven & bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
Then devour them with margarine & lashings of jam.
Parfait!

I'd quite like to try making them with coconut butter, instead of margarine, for a healthier, slightly less processed version

How do you like your scones?

6 comments:

  1. This is great! I'm so going to have to try this! I am very inspired to turn vegan, keep those recipes coming! All the best x

    littlekaatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you must let me know how they turn out, if you do! It's definitely not as hard to be a vegan as people seem to think, times are a changin'! x

      Delete
  2. I like my scone with a dollop of clotted cream and then a strawberry jam (with a side of tea).... But I'll let you make me some vegan versions when you're back!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yum! I have to admit, I do miss a spot of clotted cream! I shall have to find a vegan alternative. I shall whip you up some scones when I am next in England, or when you come to see me in Paris!!! <3
      xxx

      Delete
  3. I absolutely have to try it :)
    Michelaxx
    pursuingadreamcalledlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do & then let me know how they turn out! :)
      x

      Delete